Megamentin 1000 (active substance Augmentin) is an antibacterial agent. Its main component, amoxicillin, is a penicillin antibiotic, which has a wide spectrum of activity against many microorganisms. Potassium clavulanate (clavulanic acid) has the ability to reduce the activity of beta-lactamase produced by microorganisms, making them vulnerable to antibiotics. The presence of this acid in the drug protects amoxicillin from decay, expanding the spectrum of antibacterial action.
Augmentin is prescribed to treat infections caused by microorganisms that are susceptible to it.
Augmentin tablets and suspension is prescribed for community-acquired pneumonia, acute bacterial sinusitis, otitis media, exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, pyelonephritis, cystitis, cellulitis (inflammation of the fiber), skin infections, animal bites, dentoalveolar abscesses with cellulitis (acute inflammation of the skin, inflammation of the skin, animal bites, dentoalveolar abscesses with cellulitis (acute inflammation) bones (including osteomyelitis), joints.
Powder for preparing Augmentin solution is prescribed for the treatment of severe ENT infections (throat, nose, ear), namely mastoiditis (inflammation of the mastoid process), peritonsillar infection (suppuration of the tissues around the migdalin), epiglotitis (inflammation of the epiglottis), severe sinusitis, extrahepatic pneumonia ( pneumonia arising outside the hospital), cystitis (inflammation of the bladder), pyelonephritis (inflammation of the kidneys), skin infections, soft tissue infections, animal bites, dentoalveolar abscesses, infections of bones, joints, inf Sexual organs in women, intra-abdominal infections. Also used to prevent bacterial infections with significant operations.
Contraindications of Megamentin 1000
Augmentin can not be used for allergies to any antibiotic penicillin, the presence in the past of severe allergic reactions associated with the use of antibiotics, the presence in the past of liver or jaundice associated with taking amoxicillin, clavulanic acid.
Dosage and administration of Megamentin 1000
- Augmentin should be used after antibiotic susceptibility testing.
- Treatment should not be continued for more than 14 days without a comprehensive assessment of the patient’s condition.
- Prepared according to the instructions, the solution is injected into the vein in a stream-like manner slowly (3–4 minutes) or drip (30–40 minutes). Augmentin solution can not be administered intramuscularly.
- The standard dose for adult patients and children weighing? 40 kg is 1000/200 mg every 8 hours or 2000/200 mg every 12 hours.
- The standard dose for children from 3 months (weighing
- Augmentin tablets for adults and children weighing? 40 kg are prescribed at a dose of 500 mg / 125 mg x 3 times / day, for children weighing 25–40 kg – from 20 mg / 5 mg / kg to 60 mg / 15 mg / kg per day in 3 doses. Since Augmentin tablets can not be divided, they are not prescribed to children weighing
- Augmentin suspension is used in children aged 2 months at a dose of 25 mg / 3.6 mg / kg to 45 mg / 6.4 mg / kg divided into 2 doses.